Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dealing with Food Allergies...plus Sugar Cookie Recipe (Egg Free/Nut Free)

My son has severe food, animal, and seasonal allergies. I am never without an Epi-Pen and Benedryl and I am always trying to think ahead. One thing I've learned over the years is that I want my son to be safe while not having to be excluded.

I tend to not trust anyone when it comes to food. I want to make sure that they didn't forget about an ingredient or perhaps they just didn't know there was a "hidden" allergen. For instance, you could have 2 batches of Rice Krispie treats - one made with marshmallows and the other with marshmallow creme. My son would be fine with the first, but the marshmallow cream has egg whites in it and he could go into anaphylactic shock. How many people would know? Did you know that Ranch dressing has eggs? Certain honey mustard do too...of course mayo and tarter sauce has eggs but how many of us really think about what our foods are really made of? I know I rarely read labels before my little guy was diagnosed.

So, I always volunteer to be in charge of snacks whenever I'm given the option. This way, I can guarantee that *First Born* will not only have something safe to eat, but he also gets to eat the SAME THING as everyone else. No sitting at the "peanut-free-table" when Mommy bakes the treats! He really is an amazing little boy and never complains about his allergies, but he does pray that God will take them away. A couple times, he did come home from school and say that he was sad that he didn't get to eat the birthday treats that were brought in for the class. (I did keep some special candy with the teacher so that he always had a treat too.) Anyway, this next week I will be making all the snacks for our vacation Bible school which is always fun...but more importantly - safe. :)

I thought I would share a great recipe for sugar cookies that are Egg/Nut free that my sister-in-law gave me. I actually made several trays for my guy's Christmas Musical called "The Littlest Christmas Tree" in which he played the title role. I was so proud! He even sang a solo...and I cried. :) Okay - I keep getting off the subject! Anyway, it seems that allergies are on the rise so I wouldn't be surprised if you know someone who has them. Maybe you can surprise them with these cookies! (If needed, you could probably substitute the butter if you have a dairy allergy. We are fortunate that my little guy can tolerate some dairy...however he still prefers to drink Rice Milk.)



Egg Free/Nut Free SUGAR COOKIES

1 C. powdered sugar
1 C. Butter - Softened
1 T. White Vinegar
2 1/4 C. Flour - All Purpose
3/4 t. Ground Ginger
1/4 t. Salt
3/4 t. Baking Soda
(Food coloring if desired - about 6 drops for half the dough)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. In large bowl, beat 1 cup powdered sugar, the butter and vinegar. With electric mixer on medium speed or mix with spoon, stir in remaining ingredients (include food coloring if desired.) I prefer mixing by hand - it always turns out better for me...

(If dough is too dry, stir in milk, 1 teaspoon at a time.)

On lightly floured surface roll dough 1/8 inch thick. Cut into shapes. Place on un-greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake 5-7 minutes (not brown) Cool 1-2 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool completely 30 minutes.

(Frost if desired.) I just cut a corner of a plastic baggie and squeezed out my frosting on the cookies - it worked great!

No comments:

Post a Comment